Saturday, October 18, 2008

Patch Woes

I have been playing WoW a long time and I have lived through many a patch, but this has got to be the worst one yet. All the sudden, the major add on groups that I use have decided they are not going to update......leaving me high and dry. The two most notably screwing me are Cosmos and Auctioneer.

Cosmos was a large package of mods that I have used practically since Thrall was in diapers. It did a large variety of things and was only one download, instead of having to update them all separately. When I read they were no longer going to update the package I was totally bumming. /sigh

But the most crushing for me, the AH Queen, was Norganna's decision not to update Auctioneer classic. When she came out with Auctioneer Advanced, a few years ago, I tried it and I found it to me WAY too complicated with WAY too many features that I find to be useless for my needs. It is hard to understand and even harder to use, so when she came back with Auctioneer Classic, I breathed a sigh of relief that I would have my easy to use, perfect AH companion mod back. Imagine my horror when I read on her site a few days ago that she is not going to update it for 3.0. I tried to take it like a trooper, and decided to give Auctioneer Advanced another go, thinking maybe she had simplified it in the intervening time. I was distressed to find, upon checking it out that it is just as horrible as ever as to being hard to understand, hard to use, and bogged down with a bunch of features that are either unintelligible, or useless to me. No more simple add on that just suggested a price, and held the prices you wanted to sell at. /sigh

I have found the current mod crisis to be worse that what we went through in Burning Crusade, by far. I keep updating the mods I still have with their replacements, that they say are fixed and working for 3.0, but I still am having tons of problems. My chat log is full of gibberish, and no chat shows up at all. Weird error messages with garbled warnings that make no sense. Mailbox mods that won't show up at all. And a mod that supposedly lets you move around your frames....that doesn't.

I am pretty much at my wits end about all this, so I am going to set it aside for a few days and hope that the programmers get their act together, and in the mean time, look for some new mods to replace the ones from Cosmos.

If any of you have some suggestions.....please let me know !

Jade

No comments: